Sage Payroll – Unable to open Audit Trail/Error opening PAYAUDIT files
When you’re setting a new pay period or processing your payroll, the following messages may appear:
‘Unable to open Audit Trail’ or
‘Error opening PAYAUDIT’
To close this message, click OK. This issue occurs if the payroll’s audit files are too large to clear down within Sage Payroll. This is caused by:
- The Audit retention setting for this payroll being too high or not set at all.
- Additional files, such as backups (PAYBACK.CTL, PAYBACK.CRC & PAYBACK.001) and reports being saved into the Payroll folder.
- A combination of both of the above.
To resolve this and prevent it re-occurring, you must replace the existing audit files with a clean set.
To replace the PAYAUDIT files
Download the 2 PAYAUDIT files from links below:
- PAYAUDIT.CDX – https://downloads.pimbrook.ie/download.php?id=301&token=K80sTRzvTCj3RXhF3KchW8PpUpRfw2Jj
- PAYAUDIT.DBF – https://downloads.pimbrook.ie/download.php?id=302&token=XhjQlKv1CWpwLXXA1VPMVToJTLYpbWA6
Locate the files in your downloads folder and highlight both together and copy.
Browse to and open the company payroll folder you want to replace the audit files for eg Weekly.